Tuesday, May 27, 2008

At the Juice Box

So Albert, his roommate Michael, and Michael's daughter Shae came over Saturday for a baseball outing . . . it was a great game with an exciting finish, plus we got bobbleheads (my first one actually)! From Astros.com:

HOUSTON -- For Astros reliever Doug Brocail and outfielder Darin Erstad, a pair of veterans with more than 27 years in the Major Leagues between them, it was a first.

"In this game, you're going to see a lot of different wins. That's a new one, I hadn't seen that," Erstad said after his throw to the plate was in time to nail Philadelphia's Pedro Feliz to complete a game-ending double play that preserved Houston's 4-3 victory Saturday night at Minute Maid Park.

Erstad's throw to catcher Brad Ausmus gave Brocail his second save on a night the right-hander allowed two hits and a walk. Brocail also threw the ball into center field, thinking a pickoff was on, to allow both Phillies runners to advance. But after walking Jimmy Rollins intentionally, Brocail induced Shane Victorino to fly to left to start the double play as Philadelphia's Chase Utley waited on deck for an at-bat that wouldn't be coming.

"By far," Brocail said when asked if it was the strangest save he'd seen. "I don't know what else magic show I've got left, but we'll take it. I flubbed up, I thought he [Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada] was saying, 'Bring it' to second, next thing you know I'm thinking, 'Please hit him off the back of the helmet at least,' and honestly, I thought either we were going to go extra innings, or I was going to get booed like a banshee."

Instead the sellout crowd of 42,660 roared as the Astros celebrated in walk-off fashion.

"I felt like a 4-year-old child running out to high-five Erstad," said Brocail, 41. "It's rejuvenating. I'm the oldest man on the field, and I felt good in how we're playing. Our guys are busting their butts day in and day out, they're packing the stadium, which helps. It's awesome. I hope it continues."

Astros manager Cecil Cooper had sent Erstad in the game for Carlos Lee to start the ninth.

"That's what he does, this guy's a Gold Glover at first base and the outfield," Cooper said of Erstad. "He made a terrific throw and Brad made a great tag. They made it look easy, but it wasn't easy."

Erstad planted his feet and made a one-hop throw to Ausmus.

"I've made that throw plenty of times," Erstad said. "You just put the work in and kind of auto-pilot. Obviously in a big situation, a lot of times you try to throw the ball too hard, so I just tried to stay smooth and fortunately, I hit the right spot."

The Phillies were certainly impressed.

"I sent him; I thought Erstad had a bad arm, I questioned how good his armr was," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "You need a [great] throw in that situation, and they got it. It's a tough way to lose a game."

Said Victorino: "Nine out of 10 times you're safe on that play. He made a great play. Everything had to go right, and it did. I guess the next time, I'll have to hit it farther."

pregame quiet

Across the street all was quiet. Probably since we got there so freakin' early to watch BP - and ended up waiting for them to open the doors. Here's a few more from before the game.

Union Station

MMP

fans arriving

tix

bobblehead night
Oswalt bobblehead packaging

batting practice
The lady in front of me appeared to be logging into her work account and doing some energy trading during Phillies batting practice.

The 6pm start time made for some cool shadows on the field in the early innings . . .

Ryan Howard batting
Ryan Howard batting.

Puma @ the bat
Berkman aka Big Puma at the bat.

the crew
The crew.

Roll train
Train rolling after the big win. Note the Phillies fan in red with his 2 boys in Astros jerseys, hehehe.

No comments: